New Student Enrollment
THE NEXT BEGINNERS CLASS
STARTS SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 6th
- The NoVA Budokai kendo club will accept new students during the first or second week of JANUARY, MARCH, JUNE (END OF MAY), and AUGUST. THis year we addded a class in NOVEMBER!
- The next class starts on Sunday, November 6th, 2022 from 11:15am-12:15pm at the Durant Center at 1605 Cameraon St., Alexandria, VA 22314 and continues every Sunday and Tuesday until the end of the month.
- There will be a 8 class training program for new students, taking place on Sundays from 11:15 am-12:15 pm and Tuesday evening from 7:00-8:00 pm.
- Students will pay a flat $80 ($40 for minors) up front fee for the introductory course. Payment is by check or paypal via this website. This covers the duration of the course. After that, our standard membership schedule applies ($80/Adults & $40/Minors)
- The first class of each new student session will be on the the first Sunday of the lmonth unless noted otherwise.
- New students are also be encouraged to watch the advanced class after beginner class has ended (it continues until 1PM on Sundays and 8:30 on Tuesdays).
- New students will study a curriculum to include: basic kamae, ashi-sabaki (footwork), kiai, kihon waza, kirikaeshi, etc.
- Upon successful completion of the introductory course, new students will be allowed to wear the basic uniform (keikogi and hakama) and continue in the regular basic class. Wearing bogu/armor comes a few month later.
- Students should wear loose athletic clothing with pants or shorts that do not go below the ankle.
- Students should obtain a shinai (bamboo sword) for the class. We recommend www.e-bogu.com . Standard sizes are 39 for men and 38 for women.
- Students with prior kendo experience may join the club without enrolling in the beginner's course, subject to instructor approval.
- Pre-registration is highly reccoemnded, but walk-in registration is acceptable if space is availble - just show up at the first class with your forms and fee! To preregister pay by PayPal and email the forms (from this website) to kendo @ capitalareabudokai.org
- We are an all-volunteer non-profit organization our instructors are learning for life and will be training alongside you.
- We do not offer private lessons.
For more information on studying kendo, please contact Patrick Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.