New Student Enrollment
ATTENTION! MAY 2016 BEGINNER CLASS STARTS - Friday, May 5th , 2017
- The NoVA Budokai kendo club will accept new students during the first or second week of JANUARY, MAY, and SEPTEMBER. See the "Events" page for specific dates.
- There will be a 4-week training program for new students, consisting of 8 consecutive sessions that will take place on Fridays from 7:30-9:00 pm and Sundays from 1:00-2:30 pm.
- Students will pay a flat $80 fee for the introductory course up front. Students under 18 pay only $40. Payment is by check or paypal via this website.
- The first class of each new student session will be on the Friday of the listed weeks/months, unless noted otherwise.
- New students are also be invited to watch the advanced class after beginner class has ended.
- New students will study a curriculum to include: basic kamae, ashi-sabaki (footwork), kiai, kihon waza, kirikaeshi, etc.
- Upon successful completion of the introductory course, new students will be allowed to wear keikogi and hakama and join the regular basics class.
- Students should wear loose athletic clothing with pants or shorts that do not go below the ankle.
- Students should obtain a shinai (bamboo sword) for the class. We recommend www.e-mudo.com or www.e-bogu.com . Standard sizes are 39 for men and 38 for women.
- Students with prior kendo experience may join the club without enrolling in the beginner's course, subject to instructor approval.
- There is no prior sign-up, just show up at the first class with your forms and fee!
- We do not offer private lessons.
For more information on studying kendo, please contact Patrick Stewart at email@example.com.